Connect with us

News

Abdul Deghayes death: Second arrest over Syria pair's brother

Published

on

A second man has been arrested in Brighton on suspicion of murdering the brother of two young men who died fighting for Islamists in Syria.

Abdul Deghayes, 22, was found stabbed in a car in Brighton after a crash on Saturday and died hours later.

A 26-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder on Sunday has been released without charge.

However, Sussex Police said a 54-year-old Brighton man was arrested on Monday and remains in custody.

Brother of Syria war pair stabbed to death

Ch Insp Andy Bennett said: “We are continuing to seek a number of people who we would like to speak to in connection with Abdul’s murder.”

Mr Deghayes was a passenger in a VW Polo that collided with other cars in Brighton on Saturday. He died as a result of his stab wounds.

‘Great shock’

He was the twin of Abdullah, 18, and brother of Jaffar, 17, both from Brighton, who were said to have become radicalised and died fighting with Islamists in Syria in 2014.

His father, Abubaker, said his son had been stabbed in the back and thigh and the family, now in mourning, had suffered “a great shock”.

Mr Deghayes’ twin and his younger brother fought for an Al-Qaeda-affiliated jihadist group in Syria, following in the footsteps of their older brother, Amer.

It is believed Amer is still alive in Syria, having left Sussex in 2013.

Mr Deghayes, who was jailed in 2017 for drug dealing, died at the Royal Sussex County Hospital following the crash at 21:30 GMT on Saturday near St Joseph’s Church, Elm Grove.

Police said there had been a disturbance in Wellington Road, Brighton, where it is believed Mr Deghayes was stabbed.

Mr Deghayes then got into the car, which was driven to Elm Grove before it collided with other vehicles.

Read this and more articles at BBC Sussex

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Eastbourne fire: Crimewatch appeal after mum and son deaths

Published

on

Detectives have launched a nationwide appeal on BBC’s Crimewatch after a mother and son died in a house fire.

Gina Ingles, 34, and Milo, four, were found in Croxden Way, Eastbourne, after the blaze in July 2018, which police are treating as arson and murder.

Det Ch Insp Mike Ashcroft said: “Somebody poured petrol through a letterbox with devastating consequences.”

He added: “Someone knows who is guilty of this terrible crime.”

The fire broke out at about 01:00 BST on 10 July. Ms Ingles’ partner Toby Jarrett, 26, whom Milo called “daddy”, was in the house at the time.

He suffered serious burns but managed to jump from an upstairs window to escape the flames and survived.

In a tribute earlier this year, Ms Ingles’ family said losing Gina and Milo “in such a violent way had been hard to come to terms with”.

They added: “We feel cheated, angry and helpless, but the person who committed this cowardly crime is still out there.”

Det Ch Insp Mike Ashcroft, of the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team, said detectives had not been able to identify two people captured on CCTV footage close to scene at the time of the fire.

He said: “We don’t know who those two people are. If it was you, please come forward and tell us what you were doing.

“If you know who it was, again, contact my team to tell us.”

He added: “Someone knows who is guilty of this terrible crime. Do the right thing and tell the police what you know.”

Two local men, aged 47 and 23, were arrested on suspicion of two counts of murder and one of attempted murder.

The 23-year-old remains released under investigation pending further inquiries.

The 47-year-old was released without charge and will face no further action.

The Crimewatch Roadshow programme will be aired on BBC One at 09.15 BST. It will also be available on the BBC iPlayer for 24 hours afterwards

Read this and more articles at BBC Sussex

Continue Reading

News

Dorset chef says women could solve the curry crisis

Published

on

A chef wants to encourage more women to work in the British Asian restaurant industry.

Sarah Ali Choudhury, who grew up in her family’s Indian restaurant in Dorset, says she thinks women could be the answer to chef shortages.

According to the Office of National Statistics, less than one in five chef positions in the UK are held by women.

See more on Inside Out South on BBC One in the south of England on Monday September 16 at 19:30 GMT and on the BBC iPlayer here.

Video journalist: Abby Newbery

Read this and more articles at BBC Sussex

Continue Reading

News

Illegal work practices 'far too common' says think tank study

Published

on

About one in 20 workers does not get paid holidays, while one in 10 does not get a payslip, according to a report by the Resolution Foundation think tank.

It found workers over the age of 65 are most likely to not have paid holidays, despite a legal entitlement to 28 days a year, or pro-rota for part-timers.

And workers aged 25 and under are twice as likely to be underpaid the minimum wage that any other age group.

The think tank says its findings reveal the extent of illegal labour practices.

Workers in hotels and restaurants miss out out more than others on legal workplace entitlements, the report says.

Meanwhile, those in small firms, employing fewer than 25, are most likely to not get payslips and paid leave, as are workers on zero-hours and temporary contracts, the Resolution Foundation said.

The analysis was published to mark the start of the organisation’s three-year investigation into the enforcement of labour market rules and regulations.

Lindsay Judge, senior economic analyst at the Resolution Foundation, said: “The UK has a multitude of rules to govern its labour market, from maximum hours to minimum pay, but these rules can only become a reality if they are properly enforced.

“Labour market violations remain far too common, with millions of workers missing out on basic entitlements to a payslip, holiday entitlement and the minimum wage.

“Our analysis suggests that, while violations take place across the labour market, the government should also prioritise investigations into sectors like hotels and restaurants, along with firms who make large use of atypical employment contracts, as that’s where abuse is most prevalent,” Ms Judge said.

Tribunal claims

She welcomed the government’s move to strengthen the resources and powers of bodies such as HM Revenue & Customs and the Gangmasters and Labour Abuse Agency.

However, the UK still largely relies on individuals seeking redress through the Employment Tribunal (ET) system. And, she said, many of the individuals in most need of help to challenge illegal practices are those least likely to use ETs.

Young people are disproportionately subjected to unlawful working practises, but make fewer ET applications than any other age group.

In contrast, managerial staff are least likely to be subject to labour market abuse, but are among the most likely to be make tribunal claims.

The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy said it is committed to enforcing workplace regulations and tackling firms that break the rules, and is consulting on bringing agencies together under its proposed Single Enforcement Body.

“We are extending state enforcement to cover holiday pay for vulnerable workers, as part of the largest upgrade to workers’ rights in a generation,” said a spokesman.

However, Shadow business minister Laura Pidcock said she recognised many people worked in illegal conditions, but insisted “the Tories are on the side of the few, not the many”.

“Behind these statistics are many hours of stressful and exhausting work, people’s home lives being made so much harder than they need to be, an unchecked class of bad bosses and legions of workers who feel like they have no choice but to accept illegal poor conditions,” she said.

Read this and more articles at BBC Sussex

Continue Reading

Popular

© 2019 The Crawley Comet | Privacy