Connect with us

Business

Revealed: popular restaurant chain is to open on Wednesday

Published

on

Legal and General, owners of The Beacon, have confirmed that Nando’s will open in the £85 million extension on Wednesday.

The restaurant chain, home of the flame-grilled Portuguese Peri-Peri chicken, will be the first restaurant to open in the extension and it was the first to sign up for the extension in 2015.

Nando’s will open on the first floor where eight-screen Cineworld is due to open in the summer.

Neil Crawford, Head of Retail & Leisure Development at Legal & General, said: “It is great news that we now have an opening date for Nando’s. It’s a hugely popular restaurant that will really complement the local eating experience.”

Read this and more articles at Argus - Business

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Business

Brighton i360 bosses say 'things are looking up'

Published

on

TOURISM chiefs at the i360 say things are “looking up” as they revealed the seafront attraction has contributed £89.6 million to the local economy since opening three years ago.

Chief operating officer Ian Hart said the viewing platform had a “bright future” and expected visitor numbers to increase after two successive years of decline.

He claimed the i360 would bring £640 million of extra money to Brighton by the time it repaid its £36.2 million loan in 2041.

“It has been a year of transformation,” Mr Hart said.

“We have seen a very strong increase in visitor numbers this year.

“And for the last three years the contribution we have given to the local economy is very positive.”

The report claims the i360 has supported 447 local jobs across Brighton by bringing tourists to the area and paying its employees a living wage.

And the attraction is the main reason one per cent of all tourists visit the city, bosses claim.

Though the number of i360 visitors sank to its lowest point last financial year, Mr Hart and architect Julia Barfield are hoping it will increase.

According to the report, about 2.5 billion people have become aware of the i360 through marketing since 2016.

“We’ve only had five months this year and we’re doing well,” Mr Hart said.

“We’ve increased our marketing spend and more people are aware of us. We’re hoping for a rise. This year we’ve had some unseasonal weather and the uncertainty of Brexit, but we’re hoping for a rise.”

But Ms Barfield said i360 Ltd was aiming to change the amount it pays back to the government-owned Public Works Loans Board.

This year Brighton and Hove City Council agreed to defer a loan repayment of more than £1 million after the attraction could not pay it back.

“The prediction is we would hope the amount we pay is going to change,” Ms Barfield said.

“What we’re hoping to do is a restructuring plan.”

And Mr Hart rejected the idea of lowering ticket prices for the i360, saying keeping the same price has meant it has gone down once you factor in inflation.

“We don’t need to drop the price, it’s very good value,” he said.

“We didn’t increase the price this year or last year, so by not increasing the price it has gone down.”

The i360 chief said the attraction was a “minimum 25-year project”.

“This is a long-term infrastructure project,” he said.

“That is 25 years of good economic and social impact.”

Read this and more articles at Argus - Business

Continue Reading

Business

Velvet in Hove puts up Christmas decorations

Published

on

A SHOP in Hove has become one of the first to unveil its Christmas window display.

With more than a month to go until the big day, staff at Velvet are already getting in the Christmas spirit.

The window of the shop in Western Road has been transformed by the store manager, Emma Draper, to create a festive backdrop for shoppers.

The Argus:

The independent fashion, homeware and lifestyle store has been in Hove for 11 years.

Christmas displays 2019

Are you dressing your shop up this festive season? Let us know by sending us some pictures and details.

Add your contribution now By uploading a contribution, for use online and in print, you accept our contributor terms. You will either own or have permission to use anything you provide.

The whole city has been getting in the Christmas spirit this week.

The annual Santa bus was unveiled at an event at Donatello.

And the Christmas lights were switched on on Thursday.

Read this and more articles at Argus - Business

Continue Reading

Business

New Home Bargains opening in Eastbourne next year

Published

on

HOME Bargains has announced it’s opening a new branch in Sussex.

The store should be opening in the Langney Shopping Centre extension in Eastbourne on January 25, 2020.

The shop, which sells discount toys, home, and garden ware, will be approximately 19,000 square foot of the shopping centre’s 35,000 square foot transformation.

Shopping centre manager Neil Avis said, “We’re delighted to welcome Home Bargains to Langney Shopping Centre. As the flagship store in our exciting new £6.5m extension, it’s sure to be popular with shoppers of all ages.

“It’s fantastic to have another big name retailer joining us and we’re pleased Langney is going to be the home of its first branch in the area.”

The £6.5million extension will bring 13 new stores, a gym, improved car park and extra living accommodation over the centre.

Read this and more articles at Argus - Business

Continue Reading

Popular

© 2019 The Crawley Comet | Privacy